Skip to main content

    War MemorialsRegister

    • Home
    • Search Memorials
    • Search Names
    • Help
    Imperial War Museums LogoImperial War Museums home
    • About
      • About us
      • Submit a photograph
      • Volunteering
    • Legal
      • Accessibility Statement
      • Cookies
      • Copyright
      • Privacy
      • Terms of use

    © Imperial War Museums 2026

    Memorial

    Sergeant G R Ford

    Placeholder Image
    IWM Logo

    We don’t have an image of this war memorial yet. If you have a photograph, share it with us so we can include it in the War Memorials Register.

    Current Location

    Royal Artillery Museum , Royal Arsenal, Woolwich , Greenwich, Greater London, SE18 6ST, England

    OS Grid Reference

    TQ 43829 79237

    View location on Google Maps

    Names listed on this memorial

    Contribute to the War Memorials Register

    Send us details and photographs of your local war memorials, to help enhance the information about the people, places and events they commemorate.

    Contribute now

    This record shows everything IWM currently knows about this memorial. We are continually updating our records.

    © WMR-105030

    To share information or photographs, contact us.

    Type of Memorial
    Battlefield cross or marker
    WMR Reference Number
    105030
    Description
    A fragment of a battlefield cross , light yellow coloured wood with the dedication painted in black .The fragment appears to be the remains of the cross member with the entire upright and possible Celtic style supports missing . Accompanying the fragment is an explanatory printed document .
    Inscription
    Cross Fragment /R.I.P/No 10366 Sgt FORD G R /OF/ remainder of dedication missing . Accompanying document /World War One part of a grave marker/This part of a temporary grave marker for 10366 Sergeant George Rufus/ Ford serving with 123rd Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery . Killed in/ action on 2nd June 1915 aged 32.His grave is at Perth Cemetery/China Wall in Belgium .The cemetery was began(sic) by French Troops in/November 1914(the French graves were removed after the Armistice ) and/adopted by the 2nd Scottish Rifles in June 1917 .It was called Perth as the /2nd predecessors of the 2nd Scottish Rifles were raised in Perth and "China" /wall from the communication trench Known as the Great Wall of China ) or/Halfway House Cemetery ./
    War
    First World War (1914-1918)
    Number Commemorated
    1
    Died
    1
    Information shown
    service number , rank , surname , given names , unit , manner of death,date of death . age at death , place of burial
    Maker(s)

    Ceremonies

    Custodian
    Royal Artillery Museum

    Components

    Battlefield Cross or Marker

    Made from: Wood


    Condition: Poor


    • image and details first appeared on The Returned from the Front website http://thereturned.co.uk/crosses/london-firepower-ra-museum-woolwich/