Skip to main content

    War MemorialsRegister

    • Home
    • Search Memorials
    • Search Names
    • Help
    Imperial War Museums LogoImperial War Museums home
    • About
      • About us
      • Submit a photograph
      • Volunteering
    • Legal
      • Accessibility Statement
      • Cookies
      • Copyright
      • Privacy
      • Terms of use

    © Imperial War Museums 2026

    Memorial

    Shackleford and Peper Harow

    cQuintis van Koetsveld1

    Source: Copyright Quintis Van Koetsveld

    1/9

    Current Location

    The memorial is located at the roadside opposite the lych-gate leading to St Marys Church, at the junction between Elstead Road and Shackleford Road, Shackleford, Guildford, Surrey, GU8 6EY, England

    OS Grid Reference

    SU 94020 44883

    View location on Google Maps

    Names listed on this memorial

    Contribute to the War Memorials Register

    Send us details and photographs of your local war memorials, to help enhance the information about the people, places and events they commemorate.

    Contribute now

    This record shows everything IWM currently knows about this memorial. We are continually updating our records.

    © WMR-23675

    To share information or photographs, contact us.

    Type of Memorial
    Cross
    WMR Reference Number
    23675
    Description
    The memorial is in the form of a plain cross with plinth and base. Inscription and names on tablets affixed to plinth. Low wall around the cross on which are mounted the Second World War tablets.
    Inscription
    all sides of the base: IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN OF SHACKLEFORD AND PEPER HAROW WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES N THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919./ (names) sides and back: (names) base front: THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE tablets on wall: 1939-1945/ (NAMES)
    War
    First World War (1914-1918)
    Number Commemorated
    24
    Died
    24
    Information shown
    surname,rank,regiment,decorations
    Order of names
    surname
    War
    Second World War (1939-1945)
    Number Commemorated
    5
    Died
    5
    Information shown
    surname,rank,regiment,decorations
    Order of names
    surname
    Maker(s)
    • Mr R H Butterworth, Milford, Designer

    • Messrs A and G Avery, Builder

    • Sussex Stonemasons, Stone Carver

    Sponsored By
    The site was given by Col G R Hadaway, JP (Royal Artillery) of Grenville. The stone for the wall and paving was provided by the Earl of Midleton and the carting of materials was organised by Mr W E Horne, MP, later Sir Edgar Horne of Hall Place.
    Additional Cost/Sponsorship Information
    The site was acquired by Godalming Rural Parish Council in February 1922. The names of the fallen from WW2 were added in June 1950.
    Maintenance History
    1939: Lettering on the memorial was filled in as a precaution to hide the names during WW2 1946: Lettering was restored in January 1950: WW2 names added to the memorial 1960's: Some repair work carried out but nature of repairs is unknown 2004: Refurbishment at a cost of c. £4,000 as First World War names eroded. The six panels were replaced with handcut letters in York stone. The details were copied as they appeared originally on the memorial except that the names of the regiments and one surname were written in full. Sussex stonemasons carried out the refurbishment work in 2004 and were not involved in the original work.

    Ceremonies

    Unveiled

    06 November 1921

    Rev J C Montgomery, Rev W A Shaw, rectors of Shackleford and Peper Harow, respectively. Church organist, Mr J Williams was also present.

    Dedicated

    06 November 1921

    Rev J C Montgomery, Rev W A Shaw, rectors of Shackleford and Peper Harow, respectively. Church organist, Mr J Williams was also present.

    Rededicated

    14 November 2004

    Rev John Fellows, MA

    Custodian
    Shackleford Parish Council A charitable trust was set up in to erect the memorial and the site was acquired by Goldalming Rural Parish Council in February 1922. Following the creation of new parish in 1933 the war memorial was conveyed to Shackleford Parish Council on 1st November 1933.

    Components

    Cross

    Made from: Stone - Doulting


    Condition: Good


    Historic England

    Grade: II

    List Entry: 1429560

    https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1429560 (accessed 11/05/2026)

    Plinth

    Made from: Stone - Doulting


    Condition: Good


    Historic England

    Grade: II

    List Entry: 1429560

    https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1429560 (accessed 11/05/2026)

    Base

    Made from: Stone


    Condition: Good


    Historic England

    Grade: II

    List Entry: 1429560

    https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1429560 (accessed 11/05/2026)

    Wall

    Made from: Stone - Bargate


    Condition: Good


    Historic England

    Grade: II

    List Entry: 1429560

    https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1429560 (accessed 11/05/2026)

    Tablets

    Made from: Stone - York


    Condition: Good


    Historic England

    Grade: II

    List Entry: 1429560

    https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1429560 (accessed 11/05/2026)

    Report a Concern

    War Memorials Trust Reference Number
    174179

    To report a concern about the condition of this memorial, visit War Memorial Trust.

    Help update these details if the condition is wrongWar Memorials Register Logo