Skip to main content

    War MemorialsRegister

    • Home
    • Search Memorials
    • Search Names
    • Help
    Imperial War Museums LogoImperial War Museums home
    • About
      • About us
      • Submit a photograph
      • Volunteering
    • Legal
      • Accessibility Statement
      • Cookies
      • Copyright
      • Privacy
      • Terms of use

    © Imperial War Museums 2026

    Memorial

    Parish of Maughold

    The WW1 face of the cross

    Source: Copyright David Long

    1/4

    Current Location

    Maughold Church, Lighthouse Road, Maughold, Maughold, Isle of Man, IM7 1AS, Isle of Man

    OS Grid Reference

    SC 49291 91695

    Denomination

    Church of England

    View location on Google Maps

    Names listed on this memorial

    Contribute to the War Memorials Register

    Send us details and photographs of your local war memorials, to help enhance the information about the people, places and events they commemorate.

    Contribute now

    This record shows everything IWM currently knows about this memorial. We are continually updating our records.

    © WMR-28268

    To share information or photographs, contact us.

    Type of Memorial
    Cross
    WMR Reference Number
    28268
    Description
    Three step base (of local Maughold Head Stone) base surmounted by Buttermere Slate Celtic cross with a wide shaft. The inscriptions are carved onto the faces of the shaft. Celtic knotwork design on the top of the shaft and the cross and on the sides of the shaft.
    Inscription
    SIDE 1: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND/ TO PERPETUATE/ THE MEMORY OF THE/ MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO DIED IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 - 1918/ TE DEUM LAUDAMUS/ (names) SIDE 2: TO THE ETERNAL/ AND GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THOSE OF THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE WORLD WAR/ 1939 - 1945/ (names)
    War
    First World War (1914-1918)
    Number Commemorated
    15
    Died
    15
    Information shown
    surname, initials of forenames, rank, regiment
    Order of names
    rank THEN surname
    War
    Second World War (1939-1945)
    Number Commemorated
    9
    Died
    9
    Information shown
    surname, initials of forenames, rank, service
    Order of names
    surname
    War
    Second World War - civilians
    Number Commemorated
    1
    Died
    1
    Information shown
    surname, initials of forenames, rank, service
    Maker(s)
    • Mr P M C Kermode, Designer

    • Mr Edward Christian MC of Ramsey, Sculptor

    Ceremonies

    Unveiled

    13 July 1922

    The Governor of the Isle of Man

    Dedicated

    13 July 1922

    The Bishop of Sodor & Mann

    Unveiled

    30 October 1947

    The Lieutenant Governor of the Isle of Man

    Rededicated

    30 October 1947

    Archdeacon Stockwood

    Custodian
    Responsibility of the Vicar & Wardens

    Components

    Cross

    Height: 2750MM

    Width: 750MM


    Made from: Slate - Westmoreland


    Condition: Good


    Steps

    Made from: Stone


    Condition: Good


    Steps

    Made from: Stone


    Condition: Good


    Base

    Made from: Stone


    Condition: Good


    • https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/190439/
    • Isle of Man Times, Saturday, September 06, 1947; Page: 6 http://www.imuseum.im/Olive/APA/IsleofMan/SharedView.Article.aspx?href=IMT/1947/09/06&id=Ar00616&sk=B95AE3CD&viewMode=image Maughold War Memorial Unveiled.
    • The Manx Quarterly Issue 29 (1923) [photograph] In honour of fifteen men from the parish of Maughold who gave their lives for their country in the Great War, a memorial, in the form of a Celtic Cross, has just been erected in the ancient churchyard, and the formal ceremony of unveiling by the Governor, and dedication by the Bishop, was performed on Thursday . The cross is a beautiful and massive piece of work, weighing about two tons, and standing sixteen feet high, and is made of green slate from the famous Buttermere quarries, in the Lake district - the same stone as used in the famous Ruskin memorial on the shores of Lake Coniston. It is mounted on three steps, made of rock from Maughold Head, and its position enables it to be seen for a considerable distance out to sea.The runic patterns which cover a large portion of its surface were designed by Mr P. M. C. Kermode, and the sculptor is Mr Edward Christian, T.C., of Ramsey. The service was participated in by the Vicar of Maughold (the Rev. E. A. Stafford-Young, M.A.), the chaplain of Christ Church, Dhoon (the :Rev. R. Fergusson), the Rev. M. AV. Harrison (Ramsey), the Rev. E. C. Palmer, superintendent Wesleyan minister, and by the captain of the parish, Mr J. R. Kerruish, M.L.G., J.P. The names inscribed on the memorial are as follows :- Major C. L. Brierley, Lancs, Fus. Lieut. L. H. Walker, Bedford Regt. Trooper R. E. Allen, 9th Lancers. Pte. T. S. Corkill, Loyal North Lanes. Pte. W. H. Cowin, King's L'pool Regt. Pie. W. Comaish, King's L'pool Regt. L-Cpl. R. D. Corkill, East Lanes. Regt. Pce. C. Kissack, Royal Canadian Regt. Pte. J. T. Kerruish, Army Service Corps. Pte. J. H. Richardson, Vancouver, Bn. Pte. S. P. Richardson„ Seaforth H. Rifleman S. K. Richardson, New Zealand Rifles. Pte. T. L. Redpath, King's L'pool Regt. Trooper R. Sutcliffe, Duke of Lancaster's Yeomanry. Pte. F. Wilson, Black Watch.