Skip to main content

    War MemorialsRegister

    • Home
    • Search Memorials
    • Search Names
    • Help
    Imperial War Museums LogoImperial War Museums home
    • About
      • About us
      • Submit a photograph
      • Volunteering
    • Legal
      • Accessibility Statement
      • Cookies
      • Copyright
      • Privacy
      • Terms of use

    © Imperial War Museums 2026

    Memorial

    Arlecdon

    Full frontal view

    Source: Copyright Lisa Jennings

    1/8

    Current Location

    on the roadside, outside the churchyard, St Michael's Church, Arlecdon, Copeland, Cumbria, CA14 4RT, England

    OS Grid Reference

    NY 05208 19856

    Denomination

    Church of England

    View location on Google Maps

    Names listed on this memorial

    Contribute to the War Memorials Register

    Send us details and photographs of your local war memorials, to help enhance the information about the people, places and events they commemorate.

    Contribute now

    This record shows everything IWM currently knows about this memorial. We are continually updating our records.

    © WMR-3938

    To share information or photographs, contact us.

    Type of Memorial
    Cross
    WMR Reference Number
    3938
    Description
    A roman mosaic cross surmounting a column on a 3 stage base.
    Inscription
    1914-1918/IN PROUD AND LOVING MEMORY OF/[names]/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE/1939-1945/[names]
    War
    Second World War (1939-1945)
    Number Commemorated
    8
    Died
    8
    Information shown
    Surname, forename, date of death
    Order of names
    Surname
    War
    First World War (1914-1918)
    Number Commemorated
    23
    Died
    23
    Information shown
    Surname, forenames, date of death
    Order of names
    Surname
    Maker(s)
    • Thomas Preston, Makers

    Costs
    £170
    Maintenance History
    War Memorials Trust grant-In 2002, a Small Grants Scheme award of £250 supported repairs to the damaged cross. Storm damage had affected the three upper sections of the memorial. They were removed so a new central dowel could be inserted into the structure. The sections were then replaced.

    Ceremonies

    Unveiled

    29 September 1922

    Lieutenant Colonel George Dixon

    Dedicated

    29 September 1922

    Bishop of Carlisle

    Components

    Cross

    Height: 4500MM

    Width: 1670MM

    Depth: 1290MM


    Made from: Stone - Sandstone


    Condition: Poor


    Historic England

    Grade: II

    List Entry: 1086722

    • War Memorials Trust WM816 http://www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=253
    • West Cumberland Times 4/10/1922 page 3b