Skip to main content

    War MemorialsRegister

    • Home
    • Search Memorials
    • Search Names
    • Help
    Imperial War Museums LogoImperial War Museums home
    • About
      • About us
      • Submit a photograph
      • Volunteering
    • Legal
      • Accessibility Statement
      • Cookies
      • Copyright
      • Privacy
      • Terms of use

    © Imperial War Museums 2026

    Memorial

    Emma Colliery WW1

    Memorial

    Source: Copyright Ron Carson

    1/1

    Current Location

    Workmens' Memorial Hall, Main Road, Crawcrook, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, NE40 3TS, England

    OS Grid Reference

    NZ 14054 63834

    View location on Google Maps

    Names listed on this memorial

    Contribute to the War Memorials Register

    Send us details and photographs of your local war memorials, to help enhance the information about the people, places and events they commemorate.

    Contribute now

    This record shows everything IWM currently knows about this memorial. We are continually updating our records.

    © WMR-42149

    To share information or photographs, contact us.

    Type of Memorial
    Hall / Institute
    WMR Reference Number
    42149
    Description
    MEMORIAL HALL WITH DEDICATORY STONE TABLET PLACED OUTSIDE FLANKED BY TWO WW2 BRONZE NAME PLAQUES. SQUARE STAINED GLASS WINDOW PLACED INSIDE THE HALL, of 9 panes three in each of 3 rows. They depict at centre top a cannon and a scroll with the date 1914; at centre is a wreth with swags which go into the panes on either side. At centre bottom is a dove on top of a scroll which bears the date 1918. The building comprises a main hall for 500 people, two anterooms, cloakrooms, two entrances with pay boxes inside. ON THE LEFT AND RIGHT OF THE TABLET IS A BRONZE FIGURE OF AN ANGEL WITH A MINER'S LAMP. THE WORD 'HOPE' IS BEHIND THE HEAD OF THE ANGEL ON THE LEFT AND THE WORD 'DUTY' IS BEHIND THE HEAD OF THE ANGEL ON THE RIGHT.
    Inscription
    CENTRE TABLET in the gable end facing the road, 12 brick courses off the ground: A TRIBUTE OF AFFECTION TO/ THE MEN OF EMMA COLLIERY/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918/ (NAMES)/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE/MEMORY LINGERS HERE LEFT AND RIGHT HAND PLAQUES: 1939 - 1945: (NAMES) WINDOW: 1914 1918
    War
    First World War (1914-1918)
    Number Commemorated
    58
    Died
    58
    Information shown
    surname
    Order of names
    surname
    War
    Second World War (1939-1945)
    Number Commemorated
    22
    Died
    22
    Information shown
    surname
    Order of names
    surname
    Maker(s)
    • Messrs Charlton & Sons of Crawcrook, Builder

    • Mr W Dixon & Son of Newcastle & Riding Mill, Architect

    Costs
    £3,500

    Ceremonies

    Opened

    22 Mar 1924

    Mr W Whiteley, MP for Blaydon

    Dedicated

    22 Mar 1924

    Rev M J French

    Unveiled

    22 Mar 1924

    Colonel F R Simpson

    Dedicated

    22 Mar 1924

    Rev C B R Hunter, Rector of Ryton

    Components

    Hall

    Made from: Brick


    Condition: Good


    • Northern Echo 22/2/1923 for the decision to build the hall
    • Newcastle Weekly Chronicle 22/3/1924 reports opening this afternoon; 29/3/1924 has reports of unveiling with photos
    • http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=6881 (for the hall itself)
    • http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=6882 (for the plaques)