Skip to main content

    War MemorialsRegister

    • Home
    • Search Memorials
    • Search Names
    • Help
    Imperial War Museums LogoImperial War Museums home
    • About
      • About us
      • Submit a photograph
      • Volunteering
    • Legal
      • Accessibility Statement
      • Cookies
      • Copyright
      • Privacy
      • Terms of use

    © Imperial War Museums 2026

    Memorial

    Gardeners of Heligan House

    View of Melon Yard showing two-storey building which houses Thunderbox Room

    Source: Copyright Candy Smit

    1/4

    Current Location

    Thunderbox Room in the Gardens., The Lost Gardens of Heligan, Pentewan, St Austell, Restormel, Cornwall, PL26 6EN, England

    OS Grid Reference

    SW 99811 46570

    View location on Google Maps

    Names listed on this memorial

    Contribute to the War Memorials Register

    Send us details and photographs of your local war memorials, to help enhance the information about the people, places and events they commemorate.

    Contribute now

    This record shows everything IWM currently knows about this memorial. We are continually updating our records.

    © WMR-63622

    To share information or photographs, contact us.

    Type of Memorial
    Garden
    WMR Reference Number
    63622
    Description
    The signatures of the gardeners of Heligan House written in pencil on the lime plaster wall of the Thunderbox Room, the toilet and bothy, above the date 'August 1914'.
    Inscription
    Don't come here to sleep or slumber/ August 1914/ (Names) - - Inscription on 2014 plaque reads: "In 2013 The Imperial War Museum recorded this/ ‘THUNDERBOX ROOM IN THE GARDENS’/ as a ‘Living Memorial’ to the/ ‘GARDENERS OF HELIGAN HOUSE’/ (Ref. 63622 in the U.K. National Inventory of War Memorials)/ The ongoing restoration is our tribute to their memory.
    War
    First World War (1914-1918)
    Number Commemorated
    20
    Served
    4
    Died
    9
    Information shown
    surname,forename,additional
    Additional Information
    Details of name list not known/partially known
    Sponsor Type
    other
    Maintenance History
    2016: Original signatures on memorial remain after a century but are now mostly illegible. 2014: New plaque installed outside memorial, following extended research into Heligan’s connection with WW1. 1990: Discovery of Thunderbox Room by John Nelson and Tim Smit in derelict and totally overgrown area of the Gardens. Followed by structural restoration and return to full function – a Living Memorial to past staff.

    Ceremonies

    Unveiled

    9 November 2014

    Heligan staff, relatives of men, Friends of Heligan

    Custodian
    Heligan Gardens Ltd

    Components

    Garden

    Made from: Plant Material


    Condition: Good


    Historic England

    Grade: II

    Building

    Height: 1m

    Width: 2m


    Made from: Stone


    Condition: Good


    Plaque

    Height: 28cm

    Width: 24cm


    Made from: Cast Iron


    Condition: Good


    • Smit, Candy, The Lost Gardens of Heligan: Heligan History - Lost Gardens, Lost Gardeners. A Commemorative Album of Heligan through the Twentieth Century. Updated and Reprinted edition. Heligan Gardens Ltd, 2012.
    • Other website http://heligan.com/the-story
    • Our Blog http://ukniwm.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/lost-gardeners/
    • World War Zoo: https://worldwarzoogardener1939.wordpress.com/2011/11/08/remembering-zoo-staff-killed-on-active-service-poppy-days-are-here-again-in-the-world-war-zoo-gardens-at-newquay-zoo/